University Equipment Procedures


All sales of equipment must be processed through Material & Logistical Services. Even if the department has found a buyer, Material Services is responsible for setting the price, collecting the money and reporting any sales tax. This allows the university to maintain compliance with state laws and removes any appearance of impropriety in the sales process since Material Services acts as a third, impartial party.

Surplus Property

When a department has equipment that is no longer of use, they can notify Material & Logistical Services and have the equipment removed from their department and inventory. Material Services will take responsibility for the disposal of the equipment. See instructions for how to request a surplus pickup and disposal.

Trade ins

When equipment is traded in for a new purchase, the department must maintain documentation recording the trade-in. The trade-in must be listed on the purchase order (PO) and include the Rutgers property number and the serial number. Property Management will remove the equipment from the department’s inventory.

Transfers (Equipment Transfer/Disposal Form)

Transfers can be made within the university or to an outside institution, such as other universities. An additional consideration is whether the equipment was funded by a federal or state grant.

Internal Equipment Transfer

For equipment transfers within the university, a memo or an Equipment Transfer/Disposal Form that lists the equipment and where the equipment will be transferred must be signed by the department head. Once the signed form is received, Property Management will transfer the equipment to the new department. 

External Equipment Transfer

If equipment is being transferred to an outside entity, the department must assemble two lists.

  • One for grant/contract funded equipment.
  • One for equipment purchased with other funds (including department funds).

All grant/contract funded equipment must first be approved for transfer by Grant and Contract Accounting (GCA). GCA ensures that the transfer does not violate the terms of the grant/contract that funded the equipment.

Once approval is received from GCA, the department head must approve both lists. After this approval, Property Management will remove the equipment from the department’s inventory and the equipment can be physically transferred.