Travel Advances

Travel advances are available to full-time employees in the university's payroll system and requests should be made at least 14 days prior to travel. When needed, travel advances can be requested for transportation, lodging, meals, and incidentals.

Travel advances for transportation costs can be requested up to 90 days prior to the departure date. Travel advances are considered a personal charge to the individual requesting the advance. Requests for more than $100 per day for meals and incidentals require a justification letter to be submitted along with the Employee Travel Advance Request Form. An approved Travel and Business Expense Report (TABER) with appropriate receipts must be submitted within 60 days of the traveler's return to their work site to reconcile how the advance was used or to indicate the amount to be repaid to the university.

Outstanding travel advances for completed trips must be settled before subsequent advances will be issued. Accounts Payable will release the advance check no earlier than 14 days prior to the departure date with the exception of transportation expenses that can be distributed up to 90 days in advance of the departure date.

For further information about Travel Advance regulations and procedures, refer to the university Policy 40.4.1. Travel, Travel Incidentals, and Meal Expense.